Ramsgate High Street, 2006
The main Precinct in Ramsgate High St, this is the cross roads with Harbour Street straight ahead, King Street to the left, and Queen Street to the right. The original building on the right with the pillared frontage is now the Halifax building society, with the front facade having been redeveloped, minus the attractive pillars. Page & Sons is now the Harbour Parade Bar.
High Street, looking towards Queen Sreet, 1907
Same view, 99 years later!
Original picture: This was taken during the "French Visit" of August 6th, 1907. The pillared building on the left is now the Halifax. As in the previous picture, the frontage has changed significantly, but this distinctive corner building is still recognizable. I think these days Health and Safety would have something to say about that crowd of people standing on the roof, with no safety railings!
Vale Road, c.1890
Vale Road, 2006
The Vale Tavern still very much in use! Scene hasn't really changed that much except for the obvious addition of cars. Any more changes? Play "spot the difference"!
Plains of Waterloo, c.1905
Plains of Waterloo, 2006
No. 50 is still a grocery store, a hundred years later!
Spencer Square, c.1900's
Spencer Square, 2006
The original bowling green is now tennis courts. Carlton House was originally a YMCA hostel in the early picture, not any more! Other than the new pavillion/refreshments building, not a lot else has changed, probably because these buildings are all grade 2 listed.
St. Mildreds Road, c.1900's
St. Mildreds Road, 2006
Nice to see the trees still remain!
St. George's church, c.1895 and 2006
St. Augustine's Abbey, c.1900's St. Augustines Abbey, 2006
Designed by the famous local architect, Augustus Pugin. Note the two lion statuettes above the gate... see if you can spot these same statuettes in a picture of another famous Pugin building on this site
No. 6, Albion Hill, 1915
The same building, 2006
The original photo shows no.6 Albion Hill, damaged by a Zepellin airship raid during the First World War. This was likely one of the first times the town had ever experienced an aerial bombardment, judging by the look of wonderment on some of the local's faces.
Aberdeen House, c.1905
Aberdeen House, 2006
Same view, from the platform, 1958
Site of Hereson Road station, 2006
The Hereson road entrance to the 'Scenic Railway' was opened on July 31st, 1936, and closed in 1964. It joined with the main Station at Ramsgate Sands (see Ramsgate Sands and eastcliff post).
The tunnel entrance was filled in, and the station site is now a second hand car dealership.
The old Ramsgate Town Station (c.1900)
Site of the old Ramsgate Town Station, 2007
In the mid-1800's, the old windmills on this site were pulled down to make way for the original Ramsgate town railway station. It was located at the top of Margate Road, next to the Hovis Mill site.
During the First World War, the station received a direct hit from a Zeppelin air raid, and was never used again. In 1926 McAlpines built the railway through from Margate to Canterbury and the site lay derelict for many years. After the Second World War the site was cleared and the existing Chatham Court flats were built in it's place.
Ramsgate Mill, 1900
The Ramsgate Mill as it was in 1900. Note the horse and cart at the side of the mill, and the old railway on the far left
Ramsgate Mill, 2007
The additional frontage to the main building (the screen room) was constructed in the early 1900's and the large silo to the left was built in 1935.
The site was closed in 2005 as Rank Hovis deemed it was no longer commercially viable. The site is up for sale, and will likely be converted into residential flats. The main building is grade 2 listed.
Ramsgate Library, 1904
The grand building which was Ramsgate Library was built in 1904. The original postcard shows it during the winter time. The park in the original photo has long vanished, and has since been built on with houses, as can be seen in the modern photo. Sadly, only a few months away from it's centenary, the library was completely destroyed by an arson attack in August 2004, with only the Edwardian facade remaining. Plans to rebuild it are progressing well.
Harbour Street, 1900
Harbour Street, 2007
Sadly this view from the top of Ramsgate High Street is obscured by temporary hoardings
Note the Windmill in the centre of the picture, on the left side of the road. The windmill was one of several in Ramsgate, and was demolished many years ago. It is now a row of shops.
Without the Windmill!
St. Lawrence High Street, 2007
The differences between these two scenes is dramatic! The entire row of buildings on the right hand side of the High Street were demolished during the 1930's and '40's, to enable the road to be widened, so as to cope with increasing traffic demands. The Petrol Station and post office now stand in their place, with newer houses set further back. The fronts of the original terraced buildings would have been where the hatching is in the middle of the road in the new picture. You can also just make out the Wheatsheaf pub in the middle of the picture (behind the white road sign), and it was originally painted pink!
Augusta Road, c.1905
Augusta Road, 2007